- The ability for leaders, clerks, and ward council members to perform their record-keeping responsibilities anywhere they have access to the Internet—at home, using a mobile device, and so on.
- Real-time processing, which means that updates to membership records in LCR are made immediately.
- The ability to submit documents to Church headquarters online, such as disciplinary council documents, eliminating the need to print and mail paper documents.
Saturday, 3 October 2015
Thursday, 1 October 2015
Posted by Collins Yeboah at 10:15
The following are the processes to install the MLS Standard Windows Platform on a Computer Using a Flash Drive. A successful re-imaging of MLS on a Unit computer depends on following ALL of the instructions in this document. The document has four Sections:
Section 1: HOW TO BACK-UP MLS DATA AND RESET THE SECURITY TOKEN
Section 2: HOW TO RE-IMAGE WINDOWS ON A DELL PC WITH A USB FLASH DRIVE
Section 3: HOW TO OPTIMIZE & INSTALL ADDITIONAL MLS COMPUTER SOFTWARE
Section 4: HOW TO CONFIGURE MLS ON THE COMPUTER
The process will take approximately 2 – 3 hours. Please read the entire document before beginning and follow the steps closely!
Section 1: HOW TO BACK-UP THE MLS DATA AND RESET THE SECURITY TOKEN
- The MLS backup flash drive is required for this Section. Please be certain that it does not contain a virus and that the backup file is complete.
- The MLS backup can be done by the Ward/Branch Clerk or the Stake or District Technology Specialist.
1. Back-up MLS data on the old computer. To do this;
a. Open MLS and log in.
b. Click File, and then click Backup to a File.
c. Save the file to the USB thumb drive that came with the new computer.
d. Back up other files needed for the new computer onto the USB thumb drive. These files may include applications you use and other files such as letters, agendas, or spreadsheets.
2. Turn off the MLS computer.
Section 2: HOW TO RE-IMAGE WINDOWS ON A DELL PC USING A USB FLASH DRIVE
- BEFORE PROCEEDING, read this entire document!
- This process is only used when re-imaging an existing MLS computer. Do not use this process to set-up a NEW computer – call your MSR if you need a NEW computer.
- This process will delete all data on the computer. Make sure to back up MLS before starting the process (see Section 1).
- This Section 2 process will take between 30-45 minutes for the image and Section 3 will take another 30-45 minutes to install additional MLS “standard” software.
- Both Sections should only be completed by a qualified Stake or District Technology Specialist (STS or DTS).
Note: Reimaging the MLS system will restore it to the MLS defaults and will remove all data and programs previously on the hard drive (including all non-standard software, documents, pictures, Trojans and viruses).
1. Turn off the MLS computer.
2. Disconnect ALL external devices attached to your computer except your monitor, keyboard, mouse and USB stick with the MLS Image (remove printers, dongles, modems, etc.).
Note: If you have a LAN connection, insert the LAN cable. If you have a dongle USB modem, DO NOT insert that until later.
3. With the PC off, insert the USB Flash Drive containing the MLS image into the computer.
4. Plug in the power cord/adapter into a UPS. Ensure you have UPS power for the computer since you cannot afford to have the PC go off during the process (this may potentially damage the PC).
5. Turn on your computer.
6. As soon as the DELL logo first appears, press F12 several times to open the “One Time Boot Menu”.
Note 1: Your DELL computer may be an older version that requires changing the boot sequence to access the USB. Please make that adjustment if your screen is different than the one below.
Note 2: If the Advanced Boot Options Menu does not open, restart the computer and try again.
Note 3: BEFORE you proceed with this step, READ THE NEXT STEP! When you are ready, use the arrow keys to select “USB Storage Device” and press Enter.
7. A quick message will appear, “Press any key to boot from USB” and you MUST QUICKLY PRESS ANY KEY. If you fail to do this quickly, the PC will boot from the Hard Drive, not the USB! If that happens you must start over at step 1.
8. Windows will now display the DELL ImageDirect Restore Agent and the Format Disk Confirmation screen. Click on “Continue”.
9. When it asks, “Are you sure you want to Repartition and format your drive?” click on “YES”.
10. When you have clicked on “YES”, the Hard Disk will begin formatting:
11. The formatting process will take about 10-15 minutes to complete. When the “Restore process completed” window appears, click “OK”.
12. The X-Image window will now appear. Use the drop-down arrow to “Select Country or Region”. Be sure to select your Country (English or French speaking), then click “OK”.
13. The installation will continue and the computer will reboot several times during the process. All necessary DELL drivers will be installed during this step. This step will take 20-30 minutes.
14. Upon nearing completion, the Windows 7 Professional screen will appear. Select the following then click “Next”.
a. For Country or Region: Select your country from the dropdown menu
b. Time & Currency: English (United States)
c. Keyboard layout: US
15. Type a Computer name in the following format: LU-YourUnitNumber. Instead of YourUnitName, type in your Unit Number (without leading zeros). For example, if your Unit Number is 00123456, then the computer name should be: LU-123456
16. Time Zone: Use the pull-down menu to select: (UTC) Monrovia, Reykjavik. (Note: This is the Time zone for Ghana - ensure the date & Time are correct FOR YOUR COUNTRY)! Click “Next” and the PC will reboot one more time.
17. The login screen will now appear. The password for the LocalClerk is: “.........” Contact your MSR for the password. (Note: DO NOT REMOVE OR CHANGE THIS PASSWORD – CHURCH POLICY REQUIRES IT)!
Congratulations! You have successfully re-imaged Windows 7 Pro on your DELL PC!
Note: The above re-image process will only install Sophos and IBM Endpoint. You may now proceed to Section 3 to continue installing additional Church “standard software” and configuring the computer.
Section 3: HOW TO OPTIMIZE WINDOWS 7 PRO AND INSTALL ADDITIONAL MLS COMPUTER SOFTWARE
- BEFORE PROCEEDING read this entire Section! You must follow the detailed instruction accurately for a successful install.
- These instructions are only for use when re-imaging an existing MLS computer. Do not use this process to set-up a NEW computer – call your MSR if you need a NEW computer.
- Completing the steps in this Section will take about 60 minutes.
- The following steps should only be completed by a qualified Stake or District Technology Specialist (STS or DTS).
- The STS or DTS should have the “STS Toolkit” DVD available – for Steps 8 and 9.
- Use the check-box shown below each step as you complete that step.
1. Add the “Computer” and “User’s Files” folder to the Desktop icons by right-click anywhere on the desktop wallpaper then click on “Personalize”. Click “Change Desktop Icons” and add check marks to “Computer” and “User’s Files” and “Recycle Bin”. Then click “Apply”, then “OK”.
Confirmed Computer, User’s Files and Recycle Bin all appear on the Desktop
2. Right click on the “Computer” icon (now on the desktop) then “Properties”. Verify that the Windows edition is “Windows 7 Professional” with Service Pack 1.
Confirmed this MLS computer is running Windows 7 Pro
3. On the same screen, scroll down to confirm this PC has 2-4 GB of “Installed memory” and a “64-bit Operating System”. The “Rating” should be 4+.
Confirmed this PC has 2-4 GB of memory and System type is 64-bit Operating System
4. At the bottom of the screen above, check to see that the Microsoft License is “Genuine”
Confirmed Microsoft Windows 7 Pro is “Genuine” (NOTE: If the system is not “Genuine”, click “Change product key” and enter the Product Key shown on the Windows sticker located on the PC).
When complete, Exit the screen.
5. Right-click on the “Computer” icon then click “Properties”. Click on “Device Manager”(top left) and make certain all drivers are installed and functional:
Confirmed all Drivers are installed and working
6. Simplify the bottom Taskbar by right-click in the middle of the bottom Taskbar and then click “Properties”. On the “Taskbar” tab change the “Taskbar Buttons” pulldown to “Never Combine”
Changed Taskbar buttons to “Never Combine”
7. On the same screen shown above, click on the “Start Menu” tab. Click the “Customize” button and scroll down to “Start menu size”. Change to 25 and 15. Click “OK” then “Apply” then “OK”
Changed to 25 and 15
8. Customize the Desktop wallpaper by right-clicking on a Church or Temple picture you want then “Set as desktop wallpaper”. (Note: There are some great LDS Desktop Backgrounds located on the “STS Toolkit” DVD). Alternatively, you can right-click anywhere on the desktop wallpaper then click on “Personalize”. Select one of the “Aero Themes” then exit (close the window).
LDS Wallpaper or other custom wallpaper (Note: The LDS wallpaper is available on the “STS Toolkit” CD – available to the STS or DTS)
PLEASE NOTE: THE NEXT STEP WILL REQUIRE AN INTERNET CONNECTION.
PLEASE CONNECT TO A LAN OR MODEM BEFORE INSTALLING THE FOLLOWING SOFTWARE.
9. Sophos and IBM Endpoint Manager were installed in Section 2. All of the following additional software must be downloaded or installed from the “STS Toolkit” DVD:
a. Google Chrome (must be set as the default browser)
b. WPS Kingsoft Office
c. Adobe Reader
e. VLC Media Player (64-bit)
f. MLS (Install this last)
Each of the above software items have been installed
10. Pin the following frequently used software to the “Start Menu” by clicking “Start” then “All Programs”. Right-click on each of these items and “Pin to Start Menu”:
a. Google Chrome
b. Internet Explorer
d. WPS Writer
e. WPS Spreadsheet
f. VLC Media Player
g. Snipping Tool
h. Disk Clean-up
i. Disk Defragmenter
All of the above items have been pinned to the Start Menu
11. Remove all unnecessary Menu items by clicking “Start” then “All Programs”. Right click on each of these items to “Unpin from the Start Menu” or “Delete” them:
a. Getting Started
b. Windows Fax and Scan
c. Desktop Gadget Gallery
d. Windows Media Center
e. Windows DVD Maker
f. Anytime Upgrade
All unnecessary Menu items have been removed
12. Run “Disk Cleanup” and place a check mark in every box displayed – then click “OK”. When it asks “Are you sure you want to permanently delete these files?” click “Delete Files”.
Disk Cleanup has been completed
13. Open “Disk Defragmenter” and click the “C” drive. Then click on “Defragment” (Note: This process will take 15-30 minutes):
Disk Defragmenter ran and ended – click “Close”
14. On the bottom taskbar click the little arrow at the bottom right to “Show hidden icons”. Select “Customize”, then scroll to Sophos. Select “Show icon and notifications”, then click “OK”.
Sophos is now posted to bottom taskbar.
15. If you see the red “X” on the Sophos icon, right-click on it and click “Update Now”. When Sophos is up to date the “X” will disappear.
Sophos is installed and up to date.
Congratulations! You have successfully Optimized Windows 7 Pro on your DELL PC and installed the additional software required on the MLS computer!
- BEFORE PROCEEDING, read this entire Section! You must follow the detailed instruction accurately for a successful configuration.
- These instructions are only for use when you have completed Sections 1, 2 and 3.
- Completing the steps in this Section will take about 5-10 minutes.
- The following steps should only be completed by a qualified Stake or District Technology Specialist (STS or DTS).
1. Double click on “MLS” to open. When MLS is open you will be presented with the picture below:
a. If the configuration is for a ward/branch select option A.
b. However, if it’s for District/Stake select option B.
c. Enter ward/branch number
d. Enter District/Stake number
e. Enter Ward/Branch name
f. Enter District/Stake number
g. Enter “MSR” as administrator’s username
h. Contact MSR for administrator's password
i.Repeat the password you would received from MSR
j. Select “use internet”
k. Click “OK” to complete the configuration
2. Restore the MLS with the backup you made from section 1 using the following steps:
a. On the MLS screen, click on “Restore from file”. Click OK when the following dialogue box appears continue:
b. Navigate to where you saved the backup file on the thumb drive. Click OK when the box below appears to continue:
c. Click the file to select and click “Open” at the lower right corner of the dialogue box to commence restoring. Click “OK” when a dialog box appears notifying you of the backuup period:
d. Finally you will be presented with the option to select either “Primary Installation” or “Secondary Installation”. Please select “Primary Installation” to complete restoring MLS.
3. Contact MSR/Global Service Center during normal support hours and ask them to reset your unit’s security token. If you do not do this, your new computer will not be able to use the Send/Receive Changes function of MLS.
Note: This above step must be done on a weekday before 6:00 pm Mountain Standard Time. Weekend support is not able to perform this step.
Saturday, 26 September 2015
Posted by Collins Yeboah at 05:27
Fortunately, there are impressive apps that can help your battery stay for long hours which saves you from frustration. These apps also help you in knowing which feature of the phone is killing your battery thereby giving you the option to temporarily kill the app or not.
Following are your top 7 battery conserving apps. All you need to do is download any of the apps and enjoy your smart phones for long hours. The exciting part is that the apps are all free.
1. DU Battery Saver: The world's leading battery saver and Android power doctor and manager, is a FREE battery saving app that makes your battery last longer. Get up to 50% more battery life for your Android phones or Tablets.
2. Battery - Battery Saver: Does your phone run out of battery quickly? Does the phone always die at crucial moment? This app extends many extra hours to the battery life by managing Internet connection intelligently in the background.
3. Snapdragon BatteryGuru: The Snapdragon BatteryGuru is a battery life saver app that extends battery performance and improves overall user experience by intelligently making changes that optimise device functionality in phones with Snapdragon mobile processors.
4. One Touch Battery Saver: When the power is insufficient in your device, you can click "Power saving" mode to activate it. When activated, the following changes will occur; inactivate WIFI, Bluetooth, GPS location system, background light, vibration, and synchronisation to conserve your battery life. You can also go into "settings" to personalise items you want to close.
5. Easy Battery Saver: Easy Battery saver as the name suggest is the easiest energy-saving application which helps you to extend your battery life and optimise your mobile hand-on experience.
6. Battery Saver: Battery Saver is a powerful yet easy to use power manager app specifically designed to extend your battery life and optimise using habit. It manages to get your battery throughout the day by intelligently dealing with the phone's network connectivity, screen time out and screen brightness.
7. JuiceDefender - Battery Saver: This is a powerful yet easy to use power manager app specifically designed to extend battery life of your device by managing the device battery draining components.
As you enjoy long hours on your smart phone with any of the apps above do not forget to drop me a comment below of your experience. And if there are other good battery saving app not covered in this post do let me know by expressing your opinion.
Thursday, 26 March 2015
Posted by Collins Yeboah at 07:56
With the stiff data competition among network providers in Nigeria, mobile data is now cheap and Etisalat has decided to compensate as well as reward customers with a more cheaper plan that will make browsing fast and cost effective.
It is the Etisalat android data plan where customers can subscribe with only N2000 and get a whopping 2GB bundle. Amazing isn't it?
- Load your Etisalat SIM with N2000 worth of credit
- Dial *229*2*8#
Thursday, 19 March 2015
Posted by Collins Yeboah at 07:55
Losing phone is a trend and a survey conducted in 2013-2014 has revealed that one respondent in twenty on the average and as many as one in six for some countries lost their smartphone or tablet as a result of carelessness or theft. At the same time, 38% of users admitted that their devices contained confidential data that they would definitely not want to fall into the wrong hands.
It is such a gruelling experience that one would not like to go through. But there is good news for smartphone and tablet users, there is an app that can be extremely helpful in finding your lost or stolen smartphone. It is Kaspersky Phound! app. It is an app that can help you control the device remotely: to lock it, send a few words to the thief, remove sensitive data from the phone and much more.
Just visit My Kaspersky and there you'll find the following options:
- Quickly lock the phone or tablet to prevent unauthorized access to stored information and helps to track it on an online map;
- Find the device location using GPS, GSM or wi-fi;
- Take a picture with the front camera ( there is always a chance you'll take a photo of a thief or a decent shot of his/her location);
- Turn on the Alarm feature that continues until the owner enters a secret code (you can use this option to find a phone lost somewhere at home);
- Bring up a message on the device's screen;
- As a last resort, the owner can use Phound! to remove all personal data, including contacts, messages, photos, videos etc.
Friday, 13 March 2015
Posted by Collins Yeboah at 09:15
We use our phones all day so much that the batteries rarely last, and by the time we get home in the evening there isn't any power left. Consequently, we plug them in at night and fall asleep, with the satisfaction that we'll wake up to a fully charged device.
But the questions are; how safe are your phones when plugged into the charger once they're fully charged? Does this act damage the battery or shorten its lifespan? Here are answers for you;
Saturday, 7 March 2015
Posted by Collins Yeboah at 13:43
An invalid User Entry error is an error similar to lost username which had been covered already on this blog. But unlike lost username, the username are available but no one can login to the system.
The cause of this error is same as lost username. If you've not read the article on lost usernames, you can do so at How to resolve lost username and internalize the tips on how to avoid causing login errors such as invalid user entry error.
To find out how to solve this problem, follow the steps below:
Monday, 23 February 2015
Posted by Collins Yeboah at 07:21
This problem is caused by several things, but the most common is improper exiting of MLS. The proper way of exiting MLS is to click the Exit button in the lower left corner of the main MLS screen. This will close the program properly and save all data tables. It is also important to note that MLS must be close properly before shutting down the computer as this can also cause loss of usernames in the MLS.
There are three improper ways of closing MLS which result in loss of user names and must be avoided:
- Using the red X at the top right corner to close the program rather than the Exit button.
- Using Ctrl+Alt+Delete to close MLS
- Shutting down the computer with MLS running or before it completely closes. In areas with frequent power fluctuations, use the UPS provided to ensure proper shutdown of MLS computer.
Wednesday, 11 February 2015
Posted by Collins Yeboah at 23:28
One of the world's most majestic and glorious choirs, the Mormon Tabernacle choir, has released an app for mobile devices. Whether you're at home or on a trip, you can listen to the famed choir's music 24/7; purchase choir Blu-rays, digital music albums, books; watch videos; access a performance calendar; and read the choir's blog.
"We are making the choir's music available to a younger and more international audience by taking it to them in a digital format," says choir manager Scott Barrick.
"Our mission is to make inspirational music available across generational and cultural boundaries because we know it has the power to uplift and bring joy and peace".
Presently, this app is only available for Apple devices with iOS. To download the app, use the link
Labels: What's New